Sunday 12 April 2020

When is Easter Sunday?

 Easter eggs and chocolate!

(Hmm...am I holding Jemima Puddle-duck's duckling?)
 
As a Christian, I've often wondered about Easter eggs and baby animals.

For instance, I had once received this delicious cute duckling chocolate from Lindt as an Easter present.

I have also joined in Easter Egg Hunts, which are fun since you are hunting for all the chocolate Easter eggs muahahaha!

Slowly, I learned that Easter is almost equivalent with the celebration of Spring in the northern Hemisphere so chocolate Easter eggs and baby animal themes are to celebrate the birth of new life :)

When I was a kid, my Mum bought us some colouring books featuring Beatrix Potter's cute baby animal rabbits, ducks, geese...
 
I think I only remember Peter the Rabbit who's always running away from the farmer from "The Tale of Peter Rabbit" of my K-6 reading list...

As I grew older, I learned about the Catholic practice of fasting and abstinence during the Lenten season.

I have also experienced the solemn Good Friday service and the festive air of Easter Sunday :)

Background of Easter Sunday

In Western Christianity, Easter Sunday must always follow the first full moon after the spring equinox.

Easter celebrates the death and resurrection of Jesus, which the Bible says happened around the Jewish festival Passover.

Passover typically begins on the night of the first full moon after the spring equinox, except in "leap months" when it is the second full moon, as in 2016.

In 2020 the full moon is on April 8, which is also the date Passover starts.


Easter is the gift of Peace, Hope and Love.

May you have a blessed Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment