Tuesday, 8 November 2005

Week 25 - Going swimming

This week, our mission was to search for a great, big swimsuit that I would be comfortable and "alright" in (translation: not looking like an elephant/rhino/circus bear).

Since maternity wear nowadays are pretty decent, we thought buying a swimsuit would be quite easy...ha, ha, ha, what a big laugh!

The usual route of maternitywear shops turned out the usual pouchy pants, maternity blouses, dresses and low-heeled shoes and sandals. We headed back to the swimwear department and checked out the XL and XXL sized swimsuits.

I find it very ironic and painful that there are many designers out there (in Malaysia at least) who think that just because women are oversized at certain periods of their lives (for whatever reason), they would choose outfits that are brighter than Ronald McDonald's uniform and patterned with huge flowers/polka dots/stars or other equally ridiculous motifs.

Hello - just because our waists left us, it doesn't mean that our taste did too!

I was very frustrated that the slimming ones i.e. vertical lines, small prints, dark colors, one color were all only available in S, M or L sizes. So, slim people need more help to look slimmer?

Seriously, it seems like the XL and XXL ones were designed to make the person seem bigger! Or are they using reverse psychology to motivate the wearer to downsize? [GRRR...]

Thankfully, I found one that was OK and moved on with life. With the rain pouring down almost everyday, we kept our fingers crossed that Sunday would be the perfect day to go on my maiden swim. And it was!

I made sure to have a light snack an hour before and also did my warm-up stretches dutifully and we were off. Of course, we had to psych the baby up for this too and so told him,

"Baby, we're going swimming today, ok?" Duh...how obvious can you get, right? ;-) If our son shows up with a limited vocabulary, you know who's to blame.

The pool was welcomingly empty except for 2 little girls testing out their negotiation skills on their swimming instructors. After dumping my bag in the changing room, Hubby helped me to slowly lower myself into the pool (only 4 ft deep) and gain my footing.

Ooh, the water and buoyancy felt good!

Kicking off, I took my first stroke and almost drowned!!! I thought I could start swim again as usual but it turns out that 6 months of not exericising and having an extra package in your belly changes your body structure drastically. My obstacles were a) weak legs and b) the absence of stomach muscles and neck strain when coming up for air.

Plan B: I grabbed the kickboard and gently kicked my way across a small section. As breaststroke kicks didn't work, I resorted to freestyle kicks which were easier. Gently does it and I managed to finish 1 lap. I took a break and relaxed in the water.

I followed this interval and managed 4 laps then Hubby decided that was good enough for the first day. I thought that we'd only been there for 30 mins but we were actually there for a good hour.

The swim was great as I felt energized and jubilant for the next couple of days. Endorphins? Who knows? Baby was also ok throughout and after that - we were careful to check that his little kicks were as regular as before and thank God, they are.

The rain (and work!!!) prevented us from going again on a weekday but we're aiming for another session on the weekend. It's gonna be a regular workout for Baby and me!

BABY NOTES: Your baby weighs about 1.5 pounds and measures 8.8 inches from crown to rump. Your baby is becoming stronger as its stem cells continue to develop into bone tissue, and its bones become solid through a process called ossification. Your baby is probably becoming more and more active each day, and a moving baby is a sign of a healthy baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment