Thursday, 27 May 2010

Shellfish and skin allergy again

I have been really busy (what else is new?) the past 2 weeks mainly with spring cleaning the apartment, packing away newborn clothing, selling off baby stuff I didn't need and also shopping for food for my 6 month old :D

Not to mention the regular errands like running to the bank, running to the post office, running to meet up with old friends, running to pump petrol (or calling up the car insurance agent when the engine wouldn't start!) and of course, doing a bit of work.

All this running around, diaper duty and waking up at nights made me lose 6 kgs over a course of 3 months. Am I happy or what? Of course I am, especially as I can fit into my pre-pregnancy jeans and most of my tops again ;-)

Unfortunately, all that happiness made me forget that I was a breastfeeding Mum with kids who have eczema and food allergies. Remember my earlier post on the girl's reaction to Mummy having sushi?

Last week, I had ONE moment of weakness (or forgetfulness) and I thought I'd have char koay teow (stir fried rice noodles with prawns, egg and cockles) for breakfast and decided to just eat the miserly 2-3 tiny cockles...

Now, I don't like cockles and I usually ask the hawker to hold them. I have no idea what happened to me that morning - guess I was just too tired or hot. Yesterday morning, I noticed a familiar sign of eczema on my little girl's smooth forehead and started racking my brains:
"Is the babysitter cooking Chinese porridge with scallops?" "Is it the Stage 2 milk formula she just started with?" "Did I eat clams recently?"
While interrogating the babysitter on what she was cooking each day for the little girl, I was mentally (and physically counting out the days on my fingers) running through my meals the past few days.

EUREKA! The eczema was due to the breast milk I'd frozen on Friday and fed to the little girl on Monday. And yup, Friday was the darn day I ate those darn cockles.

Sheesh... Luckily, it was just one tiny spot of eczema but still it stood out. It wasn't as bad as the baby acne breakout she experienced a few months back when I even *contemplated* looking for acne body wash lotions just to see her baby smooth skin again.

Don't you think this Mummy needs some spa treatments or shopping sprees just to relax and breathe again?

No comments:

Post a Comment